[SPOILERS FROM VARIOUS SEASONS INCLUDING SEASON 8. IF YOU’VE NOT SEEN EVERY EPISODE OF 24 THEN READ AT YOUR OWN RISK]
24 has been a staple of my adult life.
From watching season 1 on DVD in pretty much a single sitting, to various fights and “plant activites” with Vanlandw, the awe-inspiring fate of Nina Meyers, and Edgar’s famous “CHLOE?!… AAARHRH” scene – The list of memories goes on and on.
But, for as much amazing and compelling drama as this show has produced; it has produced at least the equal amount of complete BS and sheer annoyance. This trend seems to be correlated with each new season that has been released; with the exception of perhaps season 5. With seasons 1 and 2 being near perfection; I think it’s almost a shame what this show has now become. So begins my hatred and critique of Season 8.
I somehow managed to watch all of season 7. I SOMEHOW looked past zombie-Tony. I somehow looked past the over-use of “Oh… Are you going to torture him Jack?”. I somehow looked past the constantly changing good/bad/good/bad Tony. And, finally, I would say I was able to look past the annoying women characters. Read: President Taylor; Renae; Chloe; President Taylor’s bitch daughter. Really, the show is physically incapable of producing a female character that I do not hate with fiery brimstone furiousness.
I was going to try to reserve judgment on this season to let it get at least half way through – but it’s just not possible. The list of complete BS that I feel the need to call out has grown past the tipping point and the spillage shall begin.
- Chloe: Why this show continues to kill off interesting and relatable characters whilst keeping this permanent annoyance is just beyond me. I guess it may help female viewers relate to the show, but she adds merely a layer of stupid woman for all the action and real drama to fight through. I hate Chloe. In fact, I hate Chloe so much that I have vetoed it as a possible baby name even though it is my wife’s favorite.
- Dana Walsh: Apparently the top counter terrorism agency in the country just fails year after year to do standard background checking procedures. I’m so sick of the mole/badguy/general shady person plot line in 24. Dana Walsh apparently has some sort of questionable past that she’s running from. So, she’s apparently used her amazing level of intelligence to create a new identity and get a new job with CTU. Her hair is always waved over one shoulder. And, her face just really bothers me. Her existence enrages me even further since she’s the fiancée of Cole “Freddy Prinze Jr.” Ortiz.
- Cole “Freddy Prinze Jr.” Ortiz: He is played by Freddy Prinze Junior.
- Renae Walker: Imagine this line being spoken in a Swedish Chef type of voice; Cus that’s how I’m saying it. “Ooooh I’m Renae Walker and I’ve had such a tough couple years that now I’m a female Jack Bauer.” Poor Renae. She had it rough and now she’s an outcast who gets by and gets things done via her renegade attitude. 24 Doesn’t need a female Jack Bauer. She shouldn’t be on this show in this season. OH…. MAN… THERE IS A RUSSIAN CRIME SYNDICATE INVOLVED AND APPARENTLY THIS FORMER FBI AGENT JUST HAPPENS TO BE THE BEST RUSSIAN UNDER-COVER OPERATIVE ON THE ENTIRE PLANET!>!>!!>!11..1.>. bs.
- CTU Itself: Chloe. Mole/badguy. Blue-tool headsets. “We have our suspect, this is the only possible scenario – even though strong evidence points otherwise”. Dumb.
- The Plot: The assassination plot has been done before. The nuclear threat has been done before. Apparently now they are mixed into the same season. Jack can’t say the work nuclear correctly. I hate when people say nuke-u-lar.
So far I am really not impressed with 24, and I’m really doubting I’ll be able to watch it through the rest of this season 8. CTU feels like a high-school in the valley. Not a high tech counter-terrorism organization. This is a pretty big fail. I don’t like any of the new characters. I don’t like the ones they’re choosing to bring back. So far I don’t like the plot. The only thing I’ve enjoyed this season thus far has been Jack’s kill by way of axe to the chest (Vanlandw where is bauercount seriously!).
In my opinion this show has long since run it’s course… There have been quick glimpses of good television at points over a couple of the most recent seasons – but overall they have become fewer and farther between each other. I’m growing tired of 24, and that is a very difficult thing to pen.